Thursday 11 February 2021

Alrightgames: Star Realms

Star Realms

2014 / Deckbuilding card game / 2 players (+) / USA

****

Backtracking from the more efficiently convoluted spin-off Cthulhu Realms, my first impressions of the digital deckbuilder when I played it fashionably late in 2017 were disappointment at its comparatively elementary mechanics, bland art and uninspired space scenario. Then I had a go and it turned out to be addictively therapeutic.

I didn't exactly need another formulaic deckbuilder, so held off buying the proper game until the American importer's £10.50 wore me down. I hadn't played it for a couple of years, and seeing those generic spaceships and starbases again, out in the real world, made me feel more warmly nostalgic than I'd expected.

The size of the box it came in was simultaneously disappointing, funny and admirable, and this second edition has solved the issue of awkward health "authority" tracking in a way that's simultaneously efficient and annoyingly fiddly. Of course, in the unlikely event that you find more than one other person who's prepared to play it with you, you'll have to buy more.