Sunday 7 February 2021

Babyliography VI: The Undiscovered Country

Jan Pieńkowski, Numbers

1974 / Hardback / 32 pages / Poland

**

I was supposed to curb the spending this year, but then I got tempted by another bulk buying offer and wasted the coveted final seat on yet another 1–10 counting book, because I thought it would pair nicely with the Wheels book. The sacrifices we make for OCD.


Jan Pieńkowski, Wheels

1991 / Hardback / 32 pages / Poland

*

The better half of the Meg and Mog partnership also drew some books about things. This is one of those. I was expecting a bit more than an illustrated vocab list, though I'm not sure why.


Judith Kerr, The Adventures of Mog

1993 collection / Hardback / 112 pages / UK

***

I had Mog and the Baby (collected herein), and remembered it with vague nostalgic fondness, but I was never as into it as she is. "Bebby" is the current go-to nappy-changing story, as she relates to its anonymous antagonist. She'll go nuts for Baby's Day Out.


Neil Gaiman and Adam Rex, Chu's Day

2013 / Hardback / 30 pages / UK/USA

***

It's a bit early to creep her out with Coraline (though her cousin was obsessed with the film when she wasn't much older), but this interactive sneezalong was a fast favourite. Neil's put in the work to earn his celebrity children's author retirement more than most.


Unknown, Teletubbies: Pocket Library

2013 / Board books / 48 pages / UK

**

There's plenty of time to bury the classics in crap merchandise (I think we had an entire shelf of TV annuals growing up), but like the wobbly toys, I hoped these could make substitutes for the episodes since she started requesting "teh, teh, teh" a bit too often. I don't blame her, I was a bit obsessed with them when they came out, and I was in double figures. The back covers cobble together into a jigsaw like her Mr. Men set, so I'll retroactively dock those a star for redundancy.