Saturday 30 January 2021

Alrightreads: Art Books II

Michael Kerrigan and artists, Asian Art

2005 / Paperback / 384 pages / Various

**

The first quarter's good, before scenic paintings make way for boring crockery and trinkets. If I'd wanted a book of landscape scrolls, I probably should have been more specific than an overview of the entire artistic output of the world's largest continent.


Tamsin Pickeral and artists, Turner, Whistler, Monet

2005 / Paperback / 384 pages / UK/USA/France

****

An insightful and inspirational tour with a trinity I hadn't thought to group, travelling the impressionistic purgatory between serene romanticism and grim modernism with ace light effects.


Tamsin Pickeral and Vincent van Gogh, Van Gogh

2007 / Paperback / 384 pages / UK/Netherlands

***

Impressive multi-angle obsessing, even if I would've preferred another contrived comparison of similar artists to explore the connections and vex the snobs.


Joseph-Emile Muller and Hieronymus Bosch, Bosch

1976 / Hardback / 116 pages / Luxembourg/Netherlands

***

A brief biography and insubstantial analysis to read once, before most of the book is rightly given over to repetitive, mad dioramas. Turns out I don't like Bosch as much as I used to, but I still want that jigsaw.


Wiesław Banach and Zdzisław Beksiński, Beksiński. Malarstwo/Painting

2014 / Hardback / 64 pages / Poland

****

I'd lusted after a Beksiński book since he became my favourite weird/dark artist as a teen. I could have treated myself to more than a basic, budget release, but there's still plenty of good stuff here, in miniature.