Tuesday 26 January 2021

Alrightgames: Ascension – Immortal Heroes

Ascension: Immortal Heroes

2012 / Deckbuilding card game expansion / 1-2 players (+) / USA

***

I wouldn't have bought this expansion if it hadn't been on oddly-specific sale. Luckily, the main set it pairs with was also going comparatively cheap second-hand, so I didn't have to see how awkwardly this blended with my Apprentice starter pack after all.

Since I'd always play these Year Two sets together on the app, there's a lot of comforting familiarity here, and I would've had a nagging sense of something missing without it (the twinge that remains is presumably the associated, overpowered promos). But with all those ubiquitous base cards 'helpfully' making it playable out of the box, and an extraordinary amount of cards dedicated solely to triggering another type of card, 50% off feels entirely appropriate.