Tuesday 19 May 2020

Alrightreads: France

Jean "Moebius" Giraud, Mœbius 3: The Airtight Garage

1976-87 (collected 1987) / Ecomic / 120 pages / France

**

Art: ****
Plot:

The sort of freeform nonsense you'd produce at 12 to amuse yourself, but better drawn and for a bewildered audience, even after George Lucas-style revisions that were supposed to make it more coherent.


Jacques Lob and Jean-Marc Rochette, Snowpiercer, Vol. 1: The Escape (Le Transperceneige)

1982 (translated 2014) / Ecomics / 110 pages / France

****

Like Galactica's convoy or Ballard's high-rise laid on its side with wheels attached, you could tell all sorts of pertinent stories in this inspired setting, now the introduction's out of the way. I guess that means I'll be watching the series then. '80s comics were the best.


Julian Rushton, Berlioz: Roméo et Juliette

1994 / Ebook / 119 pages / UK

***

One of my favourite types of idiotic knowitall YouTube comments is those proclaiming Bach or whoever to be Metal AF. Rushton's analysis of this operatic symphony similarly led me to foolishly conclude that Berlioz is the progenitor of the modern rock opera. Only without the rock, obviously. And apparently not really opera, what do I know?


Kent Jones, L'Argent

1999 / Ebook / 96 pages / USA

**

I had a lot to learn about impassive French cinema, but Kent wasn't the best teacher, with his excessive comparisons to other films I hadn't seen for every point made followed by basic summary of the story I'd just watched. Though I did learn that lingering shots of the back of vehicles are actually good and not boring.


Darran Anderson, Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson

2013 / Ebook / 136 pages / Ireland

**

It's a wild ride from concentration camp gravitas to old-school celeb goss before he remembers to get around to the album, and the writer failed to convince me that this sleazy singer whispering his pervy concept album in our ears deserves a critical rehabilitation. At least it was in French, so I couldn't understand it. No, that makes it worse.