Wednesday 27 May 2020

Alrightreads: Farm

Philip José Farmer, To Your Scattered Bodies Go (a.k.a. The Day of the Great Shout & The Suicide Express)

1965-66 (collected 1971) / Audiobook / 206 pages / USA

****

A new writer to me, this spin on the back-to-basics dystopia is some of the most original and unnerving sci-fi I've read in a while, though I'm sure I'd get more of a kick out of all the historical figures if I knew more about the real world.


Yvonne Tasker, The Silence of the Lambs

2002 / Ebook / 96 pages / UK

****

An academic goth explains convincingly why this is a justly celebrated '90s classic, whether you enjoy its feminist spin on the procedural or stroking your beard to bird symbolism. The class segregation of horror films never occurred to me before, but makes uncomfortable sense.


Philip Shaw, Patti Smith's Horses

2008 / Ebook / 151 pages / UK

***

The first two thirds of this stuffy "critical biography" left me increasingly bored and annoyed until he finally started talking about the album in question at the end, with the brief but insightful track-by-track analyses I'm here for. He didn't convince me that it's the greatest rock album of all time, but it was nice to know what's going on.


John Lewis-Stempel, Meadowland: The Private Life of an English Field

2014 / Ebook / 308 pages / UK

****

A charming memoir of living intimately with the land, when he's not shooting bunnies and googling historical facts and literary quotes to show off. Probably written as much to celebrate the rustic life as to keep delicate city folk away, points taken.


David Duchovny, Holy Cow

2015 / Audiobook / 206 pages / USA

**

Duchovny wrote at least one great X-Files episode back in the day, so I wasn't as surprised and suspicious as I'd be for the average celebrity fiction. If anything, I let my guard down. Kids might learn a thing or two, but Okja is less annoying.