Monday 11 May 2020

Alrightreads: The Ends

Isaac Asimov, The End of Eternity

1955 / Audiobook / 191 pages / USA

*****

Not getting around to Asimov until embarrassingly late means I've still got a lot to look forward to. I'd always simplistically characterised him as the robot guy, I had no idea he'd written one of the all-time time travel classics. Just like when I first read Heinlein's time loop tales, it was a joy to find vintage sci-fi that's so up my mutable self-authoring space-time block universe.


David Wong, John Dies at the End

2001-05 (collected 2007) / Audiobook / 362 pages / USA

***

Supernatural detectives get the stoner–slacker treatment, with gore galore and pop culture tourettes. It's the sort of thing I'd be persuaded I loved at fifteen. Good title, anyway.


Carl Wilson, Celine Dion's Let's Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste

2007 / Ebook / 176 pages / Canada

****

For a series that prided itself on being open-minded and outside the box – occasionally featuring straight-up fiction between the in-depth reviews of canonical classics – the prospect of looking dorky was evidently too much and required a unique subtitle to explain what was going on, perfectly illustrating the treatise within. He's totally right, I've had it with tribal snobbery and people's 'objective' taste and don't read websites like those any more, including this one.


Petr Ludwig, The End of Procrastination: How to Stop Postponing and Live a Fulfilled Life

2013 / Ebook / 272 pages / Czech Republic

***

I think my procrastination's under control, but these scientifically-backed self-help tips are good to know. Now back to work, I guess.


Brian Greene, Until the End of Time: Mind, Matter, and Our Search for Meaning in an Evolving Universe

2020 / Audiobook / 448 pages / USA

***

I found Bri's books on string theory and parallel universes fascinating as they soared over my head, though his book concerning the entirety of everything was a bit much. This latest one covers everything again and more, which is just getting silly.