Star Realms: Fan Solo Challenges
Replicators (Challenges #5 & #11) ***
Theoretically brutal if the right combos come up, but in practice this felt like the olden days of playing the easy AI on the app and seeing how much gratuitously excessive damage I could build up by the end. Dos cards once again served as generic counters so I didn't have to borrow from a game that actually gets played.
The Shadows (Challenge #8) **
A nice tease for a new coloured faction without having to go to the hassle of designing the whole fleet. Unfortunately, the aesthetics are about all it has going for it, as the battle over bases wasn't as tense as I'd hoped, especially as they don't even use their abilities.
SmashMechs of Scarabos (2017 Challenges #2 & #5) ****
Finally a challenging adversary, not being able to take out their assimilated tokens ramps up the difficulty nicely, and sometimes having to buy cards you can't use just so they won't benefit the opponent is a good decision, especially with the 1 in 4 risk that it'll only get replaced by another red card anyway. However goofy the title, I prefer it to the official, plainer Machine Cult scenario and I'd play again.
Steelwurm Insurgents (2017 Challenge #6) ***
Basically more vicious Nemesis Beasts that make you discard good cards an awful lot. A decent, if annoying challenge.
The Hive (2017 Challenge #4) ***
That's a proper card from the game, so why is the image squashed like a bad YouTube upload? A simpler precursor to the Frontiers bosses that play the cards properly, though the added step of not letting you use Blob cards would have helped sell the story.
Fave: SmashMechs of Scarabos




