Sunday 20 December 2020

Alrightgames: Star Trek: The Next Generation Customizable Card Game

Star Trek: The Next Generation Customizable Card Game

1994 / Collectible card game / 2 players / USA

***

I've never actually played this game, and I'm not hugely interested in doing so even if it turns out I have enough cards in my budget Common sets to form workable decks, because playing Ensign Taurik when I need engineering expertise would just draw attention to my lack of commitment. I just wanted to finally fulfil a modest junior Trekkie dream and have a bunch of these to look at now and then for the lowest possible stake.

I did once buy a starter pack of Deep Space Nine cards as a teenager when feeling particularly extravagant, but the early Next Gen sets are where the mythical nostalgia's at. If I'd had the disposable income of the Warhammer kids growing up, I might have considered collecting these to be a viable hobby, but I was already committed to splashing whatever I did manage to scrape together on two-episode Star Trek videocassettes. Twenty years on, one of those commodities has proven a better long-term investment plan than the other.

These cards still do surprisingly well on eBay as if time's stood still, sellers tearing through the ever-dwindling surplus of vintage booster boxes to flog sets and individual rares at competitive prices you wouldn't think were worth the effort of the enterprise.

As for the video market, I recently asked an eBay seller if he'd consider selling me his empty Borg Box video boxset with the unsaleable tapes removed, planning to use it as decorative storage for Star Trek cards and other junk. He agreed, then decided to send me his whole stock, at a loss to himself, because he was desperate to get rid of the things. Now I have to buy enough Star Trek cards to fill them, I suppose.


Resistance is futile