Tuesday 22 December 2020

Alrightgames: Star Fluxx

Star Fluxx

2011 / Party card game / 2-6 players / USA

***

The first and only time I played classic Fluxx was when appropriately inebriated during my first hostel stay in Venice, a few days into my liberating digital nomad lifestyle, so naturally it made quite an impression. Not enough for me to get around to buying a set until ten years later, but my subsequent digital hermit lifestyle didn't offer many opportunities for lighthearted icebreakers. Nor does my current sleep-deprived working parent lifestyle, so I've just been playing with myself. And then I played Star Fluxx, etc.

It seems to be basically the same as any other Fluxx set, the main difference from their officially licensed sci-fi themes such as the various 'Trek Fluxxes being that its generic, copyright-evading send-ups of hackneyed genre tropes are actually pretty funny and not as banal as 'Scotty + Transporter = Beam Me Up Scotty' or 'Picard + Bridge = Captain on the Bridge,' which they actually put on the boxes because the sort of people who buy those things have no standards.

And while you're wising up, stop buying '[Franchise] Monopoly' and other desperately tenuous cash-ins that have nothing to do with the thing you like and those shit plastic dolls that are all exactly the same, you corporate cretins. Merry Christmas!