Sunday, 13 September 2026

Workreads I

Secretly reading ebooks on my phone while colleagues probably assume I'm doomscrolling social media like a normal person.


Alex Horne, Birdwatchingwatching

2009 / Ebook / 384 pages

****

Littler Alex Horne embarks on a Hawks/Gorman/Wallace-esque kerrazy kwest for a year. I do like these silly things, though, and the enthusiasm and callbacks kept me hooked. It would also have been very educational about birds if I thought I was going to retain any of it.


Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – The Captain's Table – The Mist

1998 / Ebook / 271 pages

***

Maybe it was bad reviews that had always put me off from trying my preferred DS9 flavour of this nicely themed crossover series I'd enjoyed at the time and since, or maybe it was the off-model Sisko likeness that extends to such basic errors as the wormhole leading to the Delta Quadrant rather than the Gamma Quadrant, et al. A forgettably generic tale, not improved by the frequent, annoying interruptions, but it was still a nice return trip.


Robin Stoate and Andrew Shail, Back to the Future

2019 / Ebook / 96 pages

****

Stuffy academic revelations on genre and context that enhanced my appreciation even further.


John Cavanagh, Pink Floyd's The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

2003 / Ebook / 136 pages

***

Informative if bland background notes.