Thursday 27 April 2023

Ranking the Pantera albums

Appreciating a nice melody and atmosphere over an aural assault, I was always a bit of a wussy metal fan. But if I did feel like kicking a cat, choice songs from a very specific period of Pantera's infamously selective career used to hit the perfect spot between nu metal aggro and death metal armageddon.

Let's see. Here are my "Top 9" Pantera Albums, of which I should at least like a couple.


9. Reinventing the Steel (2000)

They failed to reinvent themselves for another decade. Even if I'd bothered with this one at a more appropriate age, I would've just found it tedious noise.

Fave: It Makes Them Disappear


8. Metal Magic (1983)

At least it's kind of funny.

Fave: Biggest Part of Me


7. Projects in the Jungle (1984) 

Not something you'd actively listen to, but good diegetic ambience for good times. The singing is now more passionate and consequently more annoying.

Fave: Takin' My Life


6. I Am the Night (1985)

They sound like a professional band now. Unfortunately, too much like myriad professional bands to have any kind of identity or point.

Fave: Right on the Edge


5. Vulgar Display of Power (1992)

The bully of my teenage CD rack, I always found its confrontational nature off-putting. Listening again, it's mainly just boring with a few decent riffs.

Fave: By Demons Be Driven


4. Power Metal (1988)

Still largely copycats, but Diamond Darrell is coming out with memorable riffs amid the masturbation now, and there's enough thrash crossover for their transition to not have come out of the blue. Still mainly worthwhile for the mortifying cover that will no doubt continue to trouble generations of insecure fans.

Fave: Death Trap


3. Cowboys from Hell (1990)

The Halford screams make more sense in the grand scheme when you're not misled into thinking this is the debut. Half a classic album, they'd never manage to fill one of these without excessive padding.

Fave: Domination


2. Far Beyond Driven (1994)

Refining a distinctive brand of restrained virtuoso hardcore thrash with characteristic guitar pinches and clicking bass drums, these guys could have been a favourite teen angst band if they only had the material.

Fave: Becoming


1. The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)

Could the intensity have been driven up even further without becoming self-parody? I can't say, but the first time I heard 'Suicide Note Pt. II' I almost found it laughable, if it hadn't been so fucking cool. This is the shit.

Fave: Floods