Sunday 9 January 2022

Alrightgames: Virtual Reality Adventure – Green Blood

Dave Morris and Mark Smith, Virtual Reality Adventure: Green Blood

1993 / Adventure gamebook / 1 player / UK

***

Heart of Ice was one of my best gamebook experiences (fittingly in digital form), so it was about time I got around to another in the self-important series, determined by eBay value. This would be my first of many poor choices.

For a series that fancies itself as a next-level solo RPG experience, this is still hampered by arbitrary deaths and illogical time loops when you abuse your freedom of choice and don't follow the author's preferred text. And while I was looking forward to some eco warrior cheese, being subjected to a primary school quiz was too patronising.

After a few annoying deaths I got into the groove and things were going well, until I turned out to be stuck there. I'll finish it some time, but I'd sooner pick up a Fighting Fantasy, Knightmare or other "inferior" progenitor.