Friday 8 April 2011

The Secret of Monkey Beach



So it turns out Penang is really nice once you get out of Georgetown, which means my new favourite hobby of visiting remote corners of tropical islands and hanging out with the local monkeys didn't have to stop when I crossed the Malaysian border. Not when the cheeky rascals have a whole beach dedicated to them in Penang National Park.

Those unfamiliar with LucasArts' classic 1990 adventure game The Secret of Monkey IslandTM may find that some of the more obscure references go over your heads. So much the same as usual then.



Monkey Beach



Row to Monkey BeachTM.



Talk to crew.



Walk to macaque lair.



Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!



Dave: I'm not going to take your insolence sitting down.

Macaque: Your haemorrhoids are flaring up again, eh?



Walk to Muka Head Lighthouse.



Look at Muka Head Lighthouse.

Dave: Nice Muka Head Lighthouse.



Use steps.



Look at excellent views.

Dave: Nice excellent views.



Pull branch.






Walk to sea.

Dave: I can't do that.


Penang National Park



Disappointing rope bridge



Nature's noose



Thank goodness for this sign.
I sure won't be berenang atua bermain air atas risiko sendiri in a hurry


Penang Butterfly Farm



Because I saw sod-all animals in the monkeyless part of the national park, I went to the butterfly farm, which luckily had more than just boring butterflies. Though it had those too.



The biggest butterfly going, apparently



The hulking alligator snapping turtle was clearly the best thing there



Scorpion fight. My money's on the black one



Toppled horseshoe crab. I'm not helping it up. Do you think I'm an idiot?



I'm glad to hear you attended your family reunion.


Next stop: Ipoh