Friday 22 April 2011

Islander



I realise a fair few of my blogs over the last five weeks have been about my trips to beautiful tropical island paradises (that was only five weeks ago?), and that this may be getting a bit boring for readers. It's not like I've been to thirteen different places (cities, islands and Highlands) in three different countries during that time to mix things up a bit, right? (Cambodia still counts...)

Well, if you are sick of seeing me relaxing and enjoying myself in incredible surroundings, TOUGH NOOGIES! Here's some of the publishable stuff I got up to on Malaysia's most excellent Perhentian Islands. Featuring friendly sharks and massive lizards.


Pulau Perhentian Kecil



I left my bungalow one morning to be greeted by a monitor lizard eating a frog.
Best wake up ever! (Animal death seems to be a theme of my Malaysian blogs...)



There's a real problem with coconut awareness these days



Coral Bay at sundown



Transsexual (probably) fire dancers at Long Beach.

I just heard the authorities burned the unlicensed beach bars down the night after I left. Spoilsports



Look how clear that water is! It's actually mental.
Guess I'd better go snorkelling then


Perhentian Islands below sea level


Coral garden at Pulau Perhentian Besar (Source: VirtualTourist.com)


I'm paranoid about water damaging my new camera since the rapids ride at Dream World screwed up my last one, so there was no way I was taking it along today. Let alone dipping it in the water to get a nice shot of a shark, or hilarious image of me giving a thumbs-up in snorkelling gear (okay, maybe I wish that existed).

So here are some pictures I stole of things I saw, on a day that would have been perfect if not for the sunburn destroying my back and frying my brain. Well, these things have to balance out somehow.



Black tip reef shark at Shark Point.
Less dangerous than you might imagine (Source: TravelPod)



Barracudas.
I ate one (at the barbecue, not in the wild) - that'll learn 'em! (Source: TravelPod)



Clownfish. I don't see what's so funny about it.
But then, I don't see what's so funny about clowns either (Source: TravelPod)



Ner-ner-ner-ner, ner-ner-ner-ner, ner-ner-ner-ner, ner-ner-ner-ner, bat fish! (Source: TravelPod)

Batman joke: What does Batman's mum say when it's time for his dinner?

A: Nothing - she was killed when he was a child; that's why he became Batman. (Weren't you paying attention?)



What could be better than swimming with sharks? How about swimming (at long last) with some massive, amazing green turtles (Source: Adventure World Travel)



Jumping off this lighthouse and trying not to splatter myself across the jagged rocks and coral surrounding it was extremely fun too.

The longer I spend in Asia, the more I admire their complete disregard of health and safety (Source: Narcissism is Necessary)


Next stop: Kota Bharu