Tuesday 22 February 2011

Learning Thai


This post was proving too popular. The sexy teacher had to go


A new land, a new language to learn for three days before I give into fatigue and laziness and decide that 'hello,' 'sorry' and a couple of swear words will get me by. I'm not dead yet am I? Unless this blog is my hell.

So, because - contrary to sense - I do actually find these helpful for forming neural connections and remembering the order of foreign numbers, I've committed my mental mental image of Thai numbers 0 to 9 to paper. Or more accurately, to Paint.

I don't know what it is about 10 that makes it difficult to visualise, I had the same problem when learning Greek. I'll be fine as long as I don't ever have to use the number 10 or multiples of 10 - I mean, how often is that likely to happen?


0 to 9 in Thai




Oh boy, let's start dissecting this one...

0 soon

1 nueng

2 song

3 sam

'Coming Soon: Noon Song of Sam' - promotional material for an upcoming film in which Sam Beckett from 90s time travel series Quantum Leap sings a song, or something. Substitute for your favourite Sam.

Actually having the words in the proper sequence like this should make it easier to remember, especially when some of them rhyme. Easier than that Lingyear San nonsense anyway!

4 see

5 har

6 hok

'See! Hear! Hawk!' - in the B-movie tradition, audiences are encouraged to apply their senses when witnessing this cinematic spectacle. But they might also like to spit.

7 jed

8 bad

9 gao

Sam's nemesis is played by one half of the Jedward gestalt entity beloved by twats (I don't know whether 'Jed' is the correct singular for this one, and am not interested in knowing. Such knowledge would only consume valuable brain cells that could be better used learning Thai swear words).

The hawk is on Jed to connect the dots and to make number six a bit clearer, as my previous definition was rubbish. Oh, and 'gau' means guy, because I couldn't think of anything else. This will probably lead to me pronouncing nine 'guy,' but I can live with that.

10 sib

No visualisation for this one. I guess Jedward are sib-lings, but I think that would be getting a bit far-fetched, don't you?