Thursday 17 October 2024

Alrightgames: The Wretched

The Wretched

2020 / Solo roleplaying game / 1 player

***

I hadn't checked in on the world of analogue solo RPGs since the era of adventure gamebooks, so I was more impressed by this one's (mostly) practical solutions of creating a modular story out of a pack of standard, dice-rolled playing cards than by the actual experience, which was a bit oppressively bleak for my tastes at this point. Then it turned out the cards thing wasn't original anyway.

Admittedly, by not wanting to wake up a child by recording daily logs or collapsing a spaceship-representing Jenga tower (as well as us not having one), I didn't commit to the full, immersive experience. Maybe if she's at school and I'm free from work, I might try the lonely, borderline-impossible, imminent sci-fi death simulator again, but there are likely jollier diversions out there.