Tuesday 25 June 2024

Alrightreads: Books One to Five, But They're from Unrelated Series

Ben Aaronovitch, Rivers of London

2011 / Audiobook / 392 pages

****

Neverwhere with cops. There was enough humour to get me through, but too much going on for my distracted listening to take in. Maybe I'll find my book series one day.


Rhys Hughes, Dabbler in Drabbles, Volume Two: 200 Short Stories

2024 / Ebook / 214 pages

***

Recurring characters and themes accumulate to several-hundred-word epics amid the briefer studies, which can be quite thoughtful when they're not being silly, though all the filler doesn't bode well for the incrementally longer sequels.

Faves: 'History and Time,' 'The Check-up'/'Pulled Muscle,' 'Drawing Straws'


James Acaster, James Acaster's Guide to Quitting Social Media

2022 / Audiobook / 304 pages

**

Switching from confessional memoir to fiction and persona in his third literary outing, I guess this makes it a debut novel. Shame it's on a subject I have no interest in and can't really relate to, and he's funnier when he's being himself.


Robin Ince, Bibliomaniac: An Obsessive's Tour of the Bookshops of Britain

2022 / Audiobook / 320 pages

***

These indie bookshop reviews and eccentric tome recommendations aren't much use to me, but I enjoyed the sedentary tour all the same.


David Masciotra, Metallica's Metallica

2015 / Ebook / 128 pages

**

Chunky promotional pamphlet with some worthwhile interview snippets amid the error-riddled sales copy.