Friday 2 September 2022

Babyliography LVI: Premature Academia

Patrick Wiegand, Oxford First Atlas

2009 / Hardback / 48 pages / UK

***

Stuck in the cupboard with other books bought stupidly far in advance when stuck for ideas to pad out a discounted order (and before I thought of screening books on the Internet Archive first), who knows how outdated it may end up being if we ever get around to looking at it.


Leslie Colvin, Emma Speare and artists, The Usborne Living World Encyclopedia (Miniature Edition)

2001 / Hardback / 128 pages / UK

****

Alright, so we've just looked at some pictures and haven't home-schooled with it yet (if ever), but it looks comprehensive and well-organised for it. I don't think I noticed it was the mini version when including it in our big used book bonanza, but at least she can hold it.


A. R. Hope Moncrieff, The Illustrated Guide to Classical Mythology

1912/1993 / Hardback / 160 pages / UK

***

I had years to find the D'aulaires' book for a good price, but decided to save myself the effort and go with a cheaper and inevitably duller substitute, thriftily combining archaic public domain text with public domain art. It's not child-friendly, but I can get the gist and spin some bedtime stories.


Anthony Marks and Kim Blundell, Usborne First Book of the Keyboard

1992 / Paperback / 64 pages / UK

****

Bought more for myself at this stage, with the optimistic aim of secretly teaching myself during childcare so I can end up not looking completely inept by the time she may want to learn herself. Its Key Stage 1 presentation is frankly as patronising as I need.


Philip Hawthorn and Kim Blundell, The Usborne Book of Easy Piano Tunes

1989 / Paperback / 64 pages / UK

****

A nice selection, helpfully arranged for aspiring grade one learners, even those approaching middle age.