Friday 30 April 2021

On the Omnibuses: April

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Original Illustrated Strand Sherlock Holmes

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1901–02) *****

The earlier novels had their problems, but this rural gothic masterpiece gives the series much-needed room to stretch its legs and intellect after a few too many trivial shorts. It's the first time I'd read the original, but subconscious memories of variably subversive adaptations meant I was usually a step ahead of Watson. Or maybe I'm just a genius.




Dr. Seuss, A Classic Treasury

The Cat in the Hat (1957) **

I don't know what he was a Dr. of, but I'm sure these conflicting stock personalities are ripe for psychoanalysis so you're spared from having to write your English essay on hard novels. I missed out on the chaotic fun in my childhood, but I was never big on rhyme anyway. I don't know why it always pleases me when these magical kids' stories are open to the boring dream interpretation.

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (1958) *

A wry allegory for corporate delegation getting out of hand, I expect! Even the kids weren't pleased to see the Twat come back. How encouraging is that?




H. G. Wells, Five Great Novels

The War of the Worlds (1897) ***

George Pal's film version scared me as a child and Jeff Wayne's rock opera excuses that entire medium, but going back to the source was a bit disappointing. Where The Time Machine was awe-inspiring, even in its dystopian pessimism, this is just depressing, but still historically interesting to get an authentic steampunk take on the now-cliched alien invasion in the alien culture of pre-war, pre-radio Britain.



Philip K. Dick, Five Great Novels

A Scanner Darkly (1977) **

I was hoping I'd get more out of this counterculture favourite after having read most of his other works and not passively absorbing it in audiobook, but it still didn't do much for me. I prefer my paranoia light and conspiratorial. There's some nice retronearfuturistic Black Mirror gadgetry, but I'd still rather its slot in this collection had been taken by pretty much any of his others. I can always rip it out and glue Eye in the Sky in.



Arthur C. Clarke, Four Great SF Novels

Rendezvous with Rama (1973) *****

Its marvels are burned into my teenage memory, but I was so blown away by the cosmic mystery back then that I lost interest when the more conventional drama and satire came into play. Now I can better appreciate the whole as one of the Great SF Novels (not that I've read many of those even now) and a rare case of a film adaptation I'd actually look forward to seeing (with entitled expectations).



Various, The World Treasury of Science Fiction

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., Harrison Bergeron (1961) ***

Short, satirical stab at participation trophy culture and the equal opportunity dystopia from the good old days that never were.

John W. Campbell, Jr., Forgetfulness (1937) ***

Imaginative technology and colonial catharsis that deserve a more worthwhile story, but it was the early days.

John Berryman, Special Flight (1939) *

The promise of pre-WW2 Star Trek evaporates as we lower our gaze to the routine mechanics of space flight.

J. G. Ballard, Chronopolis (1960) ****

Thoughtfully skewed anticapitalist hypothesis from the golden age of allegory.

Kono Tensei, Triceratops (1974) ***

Wholesome prehistoric paranormal that's probably about something.

Theodore Sturgeon, The Man Who Lost the Sea (1959) ****

Fight Club on Mars. Oh, spoilers.

Karl Michael Armer, On the Inside Track (1986) **

An upbeat and cloyingly sentimental take on psychic rape is something different, I guess.

Avram Davidson, The Golem (1955) ****

Not substantial enough to make it into the annals of sci-fi comedy, but a refreshing, thigh-slapping interlude all the same.

Rene Rebetez-Cortes, The New Prehistory (1967) ***

More disturbing zoomorphic metaphors than 'sheeple.'

Arthur C. Clarke, A Meeting with Medusa (1971) *****

I couldn't really see what I'd seen in this the first time when rating it the best of his short-ish stories, until the momentous meeting replayed and I got to enjoy the closing reveal all over again.