Friday 26 June 2020

Alrightreads: H20

Philip José Farmer, The Fabulous Riverboat

1971 / Audiobook / 253 pages / USA

***

I wasn't done with Riverworld's mysteries after the first round, so I was glad to stay aboard and see how immortal society was getting on. But I think I'll abandon ship here rather than risk it running aground or capsizing through increasingly unlikely historical team-ups.


Eric Drooker, Flood!: A Novel in Pictures

1992 / Ebook / 138 pages / USA

***

Frans Masereel's woodcuts on drugs! I'll take a lesson from the text-free text and shut up.


Leo Braudy, On the Waterfront

2005 / Ebook / 88 pages / USA

****

These short books are handy pointers to some great films I probably never would have got around to if I was relying on my formulaic tastes. This one fills in the important social and symbolic context for the ignorant, goes over the production, then hangs loose with jacket symbolism.


S. Alexander Reed and Philip Sandifer, They Might Be Giants' Flood

2013 / Ebook / 152 pages / USA

**

These children's songs aren't really begging for analysis, so the duo take turns on chapters covering the post-cool band's history and random tangents. Their enthusiasm's cute, at least.


Phillip Crandall, Andrew W.K.'s I Get Wet

2014 / Ebook / 176 pages / USA

***

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to party all day and night, but when I heard some of these headache-inducing shoutalongs on music channels back in the day, it didn't occur to me that their creator should be taken seriously as an artist. Seems like a nice chap, at least.