Monday 30 December 2019

Best of 2000–2019, Not from 2000–2019


Happy New Vicennial! Rather than a boring round-up of things I've enjoyed in the past year, or even the last decade, here's a thoroughly tedious chronology of My Best TV, Films, Books, Music and Other Stuff That I Happened to Experience During Each of the Last 20 Years.

These are the cultural highlights that were most important to me At the Time (Aged 14–34), plus retrospective overall favourites by category and the Overall Best Thing of the 21st Century.

Importantly, many best things of the year Weren't Actually Released in That Year, because there are loads of other years to catch up on and I'm not some zeitgeisty freak. No, I'm clearly normal.

Based on Memory, Research, Guesswork and Existential Anguish. Selections from my old 2014–18 round-ups revised when I somehow remembered things more clearly years later.

Update: Replaced by expanded, ongoing, more historically accurate edition.