Friday, April 29, 2011

Kuala Lumpur? No, she walked into a door



I was a bit nervous about going to Kuala Lumpur, after other tropical capitals I've visited didn't exactly leave a great impression. I'm mainly talking about Cairo. Dirty, noisy, stinky, sexually harrassy Cairo, which I had nightmares about for a week after I finally got out of there.

It turns out KL isn't as bad as Cairo, but even with lots of green around and a cool sci-fi monorail zipping above the Frogger-style traffic, I still prefer smaller cities any day. Unless they're Kota Bharu, obviously.


Kuala Lumpur



Compulsory shot of me at Petronas Twin Towers



Once the world's tallest building, until they built this bastard



KL Tower and the Golden Triangle.
Stop sniggering at the back, Timkins!



National Art Gallery and Lake Titiwangsa.
Timkins, I'm warning you!



Kuala Lumpur railway station.
Shows Crewe station up a bit, doesn't it?



Platform 3 exists ever so slightly in the future of Platform 2



Thought you could escape the congestion by taking the train?
Well you're wrong and you're a grotesquely ugly freak



Independence square (Dataran Merdeka): a claustrophobe's delight



Hey, let's go shopping! Let's go shopping, in the same shops you get everywhere in the world.
Have you been shopping?
WHAT?? You went to KL and you didn't go shopping???

Let me tell you something about shopping: SOD SHOPPING


Taman Tasik Perdana
(Perdana Lake Garden)




If the bustle of the metropolis gets too overwhelming, you don't have to flee the city altogether - you can head to this pocket of tranquillity instead, like a trauma victim seeking solace in the recesses of their own damaged mind.



Dave meets the Tyrannosaurus Rex at Dinosaur Park.
He is twenty-five years old



Dave at the real Stonehenge, honestly.
'Tis a magic place where the moon doth rise with a dragon's face



National Monument.
Yeeeeeah, waaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!



National Mosque: pointy



KTM building: photogenic, but impossible to photograph from a decent angle



KL drivers don't even stop for humans - what chance do the macaques have?

10 comments:

  1. The best part about Kuala Lumpur.... they have a drink called "Kick-a-poo Joy Juice"! You should drink it... (I found Irn Bru when I was there, so naturally thats all I drank).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left KL pretty sharp-ish, but maybe that drink alone is reason to go back.

    Considering I'm also thinking about going to Subang Jaya nearby, because they boast of having the world's largest pencil. I've already seen the second largest at the Cumberland Pencil Museum, so there will be some feeling of pointless completion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the world's largest pencil

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're ever in the Lake District (NW England) and have half an hour to kill, you have to go here:

    http://www.pencilmuseum.co.uk/

    It's as good as it sounds! i.e. It's shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have actually been there!
    How does a pencil museum rich our educational lives anyway?
    I suppose they are an important tool in the world.. but really... a museum?
    I hope there is a museum on socks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my god there is! http://www.sockmuseum.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Phallological_Museum

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is more or less the same as my visit to Kuala Lumpur. More pictures of nice things, less time at the airport.

    I'm glad the link after your busy train didn't go to my blog. I was worried for a second. Then relieved. Then happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, I've seen adverts for kick-a-poo joy joice somewhere. India? Thailand? One of those. I think India, although Thailand might make more sense. Did you see an advert for kick-a-poo joy juice in Thailand?

    Anyway, I didn't find any and I have no idea what it tastes like. True fact!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And speaking of big things... I've seen the world's largest jumper (item of clothing, not creature with ability to propel itself temporarily off the ground). That's got to be up there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete