Tuesday 7 December 2010

Well, that about wraps it up for Egypt


Sphinx of Alexandria


My chronologically sound but geographically perplexing month-long journey through Egypt - from the Old Kingdom to the New Kingdom and Late Period - has reached its logical end in Greco-Roman Alexandria, back at the Mediterranean again. Where it might have begun if only Greek ferries weren't so unreliable.

But to subvert expectations (mine mostly), the city's actually pretty good. Take that, predetermined cynicism!

Alexandria hardly feels like Egypt at all - apart from the mental traffic and all those cats. There's no visible sand, the girls actually talk to you, and I saw my first clouds for four weeks. How beautiful they looked, those coquettish cumulonimbi, bulging with the false promise of rain!

I still don't know any more about Alexander the Great himself than Iron Maiden taught me, but his city's well worth the visit - for a day trip at least. Even if some of its most famous sights have been lost... in the sands of time. And because people blew them up or they sank and stuff.


National Institute for Oceanography & Fisheries


I didn't go deep sea diving in Sinai while I was in Egypt, so thought I'd make up for it with a quick trip to this children's museum, for children. I am twenty-five years old.



Dave W and some cardboard turtles. I am twenty-five years old



Dudong with its dong out. I am twenty-five years old



More dead stuff - big dead stuff this time.
Can't remember what it was though... I can't take all your notes for you!


Citadel of Qaitbay



This is more the type of historical site I'm used to (apart from the palm trees). Built on the site of the Pharos lighthouse



Dave W wanders the curiously green catacombs and imagines he's in Knightmare



15th century mosque and citadel ceiling



Dave W walks into the light and...


Other sights I seeing'd in Alexandria



The man: the legend.
The horse: not so well remembered



El-Mursi Abul-Abbas Mosque


 
Some church or other