Saturday 18 September 2010

Hello there



Hello there, my name's Dave and this is my website place. Since I began this zany travelling adventure I've been inundated with almost four requests to set up some kind of blog to recount my adventures, so that's what this is. Obviously.

Here, you'll find fascinating overviews of destinations I visit, tours I take, dubious advice to help you get around yourself and borderline racist commentary on exotic cultures from my over-privileged, post-colonial perspective. But mostly I'll be aimlessly wandering about.


Who the hell are you?


I'm a 25-year-old repressed Englishman and creative writing graduate who spent the last three years in glorious Edinburgh, working up the customary career ladder from marshmallow packer to web copywriter.

Working online, I'm now in a position where I can travel around wherever there's a nearby Wi-Fi connection (or not - expect some hilarious tales on that subject!) and enjoy more interesting scenery, cheaper living expenses and better sanitary conditions than were offered by my grotty Scotch flat.


What the hell are you?


I'm not sure if there's a precise definition. I work a few days a week filling the world with corporate bile and garbage to pay for the rest of the week, where I tick off the key sights, get lost in interesting neighbourhoods and try to work on this thing called 'relax-ation,' the practical value of which escapes me.

I'm too cosy to be a bum and not enough of a twat to be a true urban flaneur. I'm mostly having a good time.


Where the hell are you going?


I didn't have a destination in mind when I decided to leave Edinburgh, but because self-imposed restrictions and pointless goals are useful for making life more stressful, I decided that I want to avoid plane travel wherever possible, so I can have a more authentic travelling experience from each A to every B.

The fact that I flew from Edinburgh to Venice and invalidated this rule on day one is of no consequence. That's just the sort of rule-breaking maverick I am.

I'm spending the second half of September travelling north to south in Italy, and after that will catch a ferry to Greece. Once I've achieved my other self-imposed aim - to travel from the 'Athens of the North' (Edinburgh) to the 'Athens of Greece' (Athens), I'm not sure where I'll go. But continuing east looks pretty good...