Saturday 29 June 2019

Alrightreads: Bunch of Dicks

More Dicks to fill my holes. Written 1966–70, published randomly.


Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (a.k.a. Blade Runner)

1968 / Audiobook / 210 pages / USA

*****

I first read the book before I saw the film, which is the right way around to appreciate some of the unspoken context. I've never rated the core action story all that much, mainly loving the film for its visuals and soundtrack and the book for all the psychological gadgetry that was too zany to adapt, from the Theatre of the Absurd domestic opening with the mood organ to the literally manufactured entertainment. Stone-cold sci-fi classic.


Philip K. Dick, Nick and the Glimmung

1966 (pub. 1988) / Audiobook / 141 pages / USA

***

Even by PKD standards, this is an odd one. A prequel to one of his strangest books, Galactic Pot-Healer, and more notably his only book for children, though initially buried and not exhumed until years after his death. A shame, as it's a successful experiment and I would have loved to have read his weird stuff as a kid. Maybe it somehow would have made a sort of sense back then.


Philip K. Dick, Ubik

1969 / Audiobook / 202 pages / USA

*****

Traditionally, realising you're in a simulation is the beginning of the triumphant ending. Other times you clock it much sooner, but that information doesn't prove to be of much practical use. Mysterious, spooky and characteristically kooky, this is my favourite PKD [so far].

I bought the book as a teenager, after being impressed by Androids and seeing this recommended as another of the greats, but I didn't get far before inexplicably deciding it wasn't for me and eBaying it. Especially bizarre, since the phrase "I'll consult my dead wife" appears as early as page 2! I didn't deserve it.


Philip K. Dick, A Maze of Death

1970 / Audiobook / 216 pages / USA

****

Like its similarly surreal predecessor Galactic Pot Healer, this is more LSD-inspired speculative spiritualism from what must be PKD's maddest era, even before the author started seeing visions from space that definitely weren't related to immersing himself in worlds of fortune-telling gelatinous cubes and other weird shit. Describing the mishmash of styles would make it sound unreadable, but it's held together by tension and the power of electric prayer.


Philip K. Dick, Our Friends from Frolix 8

1970 / Audiobook / 189 pages / USA

**

This stratified dystopia's so generic by this point, it could be computer-generated. The characters are annoying rather than sympathetic and the customary casual sexism tips over into perviness. As a parable against tyranny, the happy ending has no practical application in real life.


Philip K. Dick, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said

1974 / Audiobook / 231 pages / USA

****

Arrogant big-shot entertainer is mysteriously unpersoned and on the run in police-state America. I hadn't read this before, but I've more or less seen it adapted by every sci-fi show, including about half of the Twilight Zones beforehand, and I always enjoy the mystery.